Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Swiffer Wet Jet - refill pads

Let's face it, the Swiffer Wet Jet pads are expensive! I've been meaning to try my hand at making reusable ones for quite sometime and then today, after a play date which included ten 1-year-olds and Christmas cookies, I was down to one pad. One pad for three rooms. It was time!

First I collected an old towel from the upstairs bathroom and a pretty piece of flannel I've been wanting to use. I also grabbed some velcro. I love the thin velcro that has the loops on one side and the hooks on the other.
Using my one remaining disposable pad for a pattern, I cut out pieces of the terry-cloth towel. (The pieces measure about 12" x6".)
And the matching pieces of flannel.
I divided up my velcro into four pieces for the four pads I was making. This only allowed me enough velcro to put a square in each corner of the pad. I thought in the future I might put an entire strip of velcro across the top and bottom. However, when I used this later it worked just fine with the smaller amount.
I stitched each piece of velcro onto the flannel. A bonus of using the double-sided velcro is that the hook side attached to the flannel, keeping the velcro in place without pinning.
I attached the flannel to the terry cloth with a wide zig-zag stitch around the edge.
I thought that would be the final step but, upon use, the front tended to roll up blocking the jets. So I went back and made another stitch line, boxing in the velcro. This solved the problem.
I think my new pads work even better than the disposable ones!!!

1 comment:

Liz said...

I am SO doing this when I run out!